The Comics Curmudgeon Community • View topic - Luann

Luann

Horrified or amused by what you read in the comics today? Express yourself here.

Re: Luann

Postby Buzz Dixon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Greg, if you're reading this, please make Ox gay and give him a big crush on Les(lie).
Buzz Dixon

Postby gnome de blog » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Greg, if you're reading this, retire. This is beyond jumping the shark. You've...you've... married Anthony!
"Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Brownest." - Lucy Van Pelt
gnome de blog

Postby DAC » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:26 pm

I'm hoping for a twist where this guy ends up pounding Gunther himself.
DAC

Postby Barbed-1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:24 am

Buzz Dixon wrote:Greg, if you're reading this, please make Ox gay and give him a big crush on Les(lie).

Naah. He'll hit on Gunther, and the poor nerd will really be in a predicament.

BTW: Rosa, Les(lie), Ox... how many new characters can a strip like Luann handle without losing track of its unfinished story arcs?

TB1
Barbed-1

Postby Charles B » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 am

gnome de blog wrote:Greg, if you're reading this, retire. This is beyond jumping the shark. You've...you've... married Anthony!

Going off-topic.

So gnome, which proposal did you find more appalling? Anthony's or Les Moore's?
Charles B

Postby Some Guy Here » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:06 pm

gnome de blog wrote:Greg, if you're reading this, retire.

I can agree with that!
Thank God for Culture Clash - Darrin Bell
Because remember, it’s OK to include a lovingly detailed drawing of a teenage girl in a bikini in the comics, as long as you call her a tramp - Fruhmeister himself
psychologyofwriting.forumotion.com friend's site
Some Guy Here

Postby gnome de blog » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Charles B wrote:
gnome de blog wrote:Greg, if you're reading this, retire. This is beyond jumping the shark. You've...you've... married Anthony!

Going off-topic.

So gnome, which proposal did you find more appalling? Anthony's or Les Moore's?

Oh wow. That's a tough choice. In a way it's like comparing apples and oranges. the whole Liz-Anthony train wreck chugged down that path for so long that it was almost a relief to get the thing over with. If only Lynn had had the sense to retire then and there we would have been spared the horror of Re-Foob.

Les Moore merely re-affirmed that he's the most despicable character in comicdom, possibly except Thorax.

I'd have to say that it's a tie, with the ball hanging above the rim and precious little left on the clock.

Digressing back to the topic (sort of): it seems to me that Greg Evans has surpassed Johnston, Batiuk and even McEldowney. He has now achieved Elrod status, where each new story is the worst one ever. That, my friends, takes talent.
"Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Brownest." - Lucy Van Pelt
gnome de blog

Postby Chief Ohara » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:30 pm

One wonders why the artist felt that he needed to begin a new arc. So many stories lie unfinished in Luann that the strip begins to take on overtones of Judge Parker.

Is there a creative reason for trying to keep so many eggs in the air at one time?
CO
Chief Ohara

Postby DAC » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Chief Ohara wrote:One wonders why the artist felt that he needed to begin a new arc. So many stories lie unfinished in Luann that the strip begins to take on overtones of Judge Parker.

Is there a creative reason for trying to keep so many eggs in the air at one time?
CO

Yeah! I wonder how Luann's relationship with Bernice's brother Bob is going.. Does Quill know about him?
DAC

Postby LTBF » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Or Dirk the garbageman.
LTBF

Postby Some Guy Here » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:05 pm

gnome de blog wrote:
Digressing back to the topic (sort of): it seems to me that Greg Evans has surpassed Johnston, Batiuk and even McEldowney. He has now achieved Elrod status, where each new story is the worst one ever. That, my friends, takes talent.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice. The seeds were planted long ago but Luann has really taken a nosedive this year. Before I would've strongly vouched for the comic to stay, but now...hey guys, I was serious about agreeing with gnome on Greg retiring.
Because remember, it’s OK to include a lovingly detailed drawing of a teenage girl in a bikini in the comics, as long as you call her a tramp - Fruhmeister himself
Some Guy Here

Postby Chief Ohara » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:31 am

Is this wise? Brad is deadly serious - note the lad's suit and white shirt. What if she refuses? Rejection of that magnitude will crush the poor boy.
CO
Chief Ohara

Postby Some Guy Here » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:16 pm

Chief Ohara wrote:Is this wise?

Who cares? It's good for us!
Some Guy Here

Postby gnome de blog » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:55 pm

Dear Mr. Greg Evans,
You can still save the strip. It's not to late. Honest.

However, to do so you must emulate both your idols by simultaneously making a Batiukian fast-forward and a Johnstonian rewind:

1. Marry off Brad 'n Toni.
2. Acknowledge that Shannon is Toni's daughter, not her niece.
3. Jump ahead enough years so Shannon is about 10 years old.
4. Have another kid, maybe about a 4-year-old Gunther, only not creepy.

This will allow you to get out of the corner you've painted yourself into because you can't handle adult themes. You can repeat the best days of the strip, which were Luann's junior high and early high school years. This time, don't let the Aaron Hill character ever get involved. He remains an ethereal ideal, like the Girl in the White T-Bird. You jumped the shark the day you allowed Aaron to acknowledge Luann's existence.

Luann, now Mrs. Barney Google, can remain the title character.
gnome de blog

Postby DAC » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:09 pm

I don't think the niece/daughter thing will work. It wouldn't make any sense that Stable, Responsible Toni continuously leaves her with the dipwad brother. I could see a scenario where dipwad gets thrown in jail or something, and Brad/Toni end up adopting her, though.
DAC

PreviousNext

Return to Today's newspaper funnies