Post Content

Fred Basset, 9/2/07

Comics don’t have to be funny.* I can’t remember ever laughing out loud at Fred Basset, but I nearly always smile. It’s something about Fred’s expressions, the comfortable way he gets along with his human family and canine friends, and his array of British virtues — mostly pluck. I’m a sucker for pluck.

Published since 1963, this strip has been in reruns since 1991, but you’d never know. It’s sweet, and sweetness lasts. Happy Sunday!

* Comics must, however, entertain. So, Mr. Tom Batuik, don’t think you and your dog’s breakfast are getting off the hook on Fred Basset’s coattails. No siree. And yeah, it’s a mixed metaphor. Wanna make something of it?

Speaking of warm feelings, the mere thought of these fine CC sponsors should quicken every heart:

• Treat yourself!: Shana Logic loves Joshreads fans because they are independent, rockin’, super nice art lovers! That’s why they know you’ll love Shana Logic’s hip & hot jewelry, killer ties for men, home decor & iPod gear, unusual plushes, and more!
  • Dragon Wars D-War: It began as a legend. This fall, something unimaginable, something unexplainable, something extraordinary will turn our world into a battlefield. On September 14th, an ancient evil will awaken.
  • Learn to draw the human figure: Acclaimed anatomy training course! Used by leading entertainment studios worldwide in 60 countries — the likes of LucasFilm, ILM, RedStorm, Midway, Blizzard. Learn to draw the human figure from your mind for illustration, comic books, manga, anime, game design, and all art fields.

To find out more about advertising on this site, click here.

— Uncle Lumpy